Swedish Gravlax Salad on Toast
3 large eggs
11⁄2 pounds Swedish gravlax, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper
1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
8 to 10 fresh quail eggs
1. Place regular eggs in a medium pot and add enough cold water to cover. Turn heat to high and when water comes to a boil, turn off heat, cover the pot, and let the eggs sit 12 minutes. Remove eggs and shock in an ice bath. Peel eggs, rinsing gently to remove their shells, then chop very finely and put in a large mixing bowl. Add gravlax, mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, and Maldon salt and pepper to taste. Mix gently. Refrigerate the salad while making toasts or until ready to serve.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut baguette into 1⁄8-inch slices, approximately 30 slices. Place slices on a baking sheet and brush with oil then sprinkle with salt. Toast until just crisp and golden, about 8 minutes per side.
3. To serve, gently heat butter and about 1 teaspoon of oil over low heat in a nonstick pan. When butter begins to sizzle, turn off heat and crack quail eggs carefully into the pan to barely cook sunny side up just until the whites are set but the yolk remains uncooked. Repeat as necessary to cook all eggs. Divide the gravlax salad evenly on the pieces of toast; garnish each with a fried quail egg, and serve immediately
Herb Cream Cheese
1 8 ounces package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 chopped mild herbs
Salt and pepper
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and grated
1/2 cup homemade or prepared mayonnaise
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup brunoise red onions
1/4 cup capers
4 ounces caviar
1. For the herb cream cheese: In a small mixing bowl, blend all of the ingredients together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
2. For the egg salad: In mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together and mix until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
3. To assemble, spread the cream cheese mixture over the pie crust. Spread the egg salad over the cream cheese leaving a 2-inch border. Spoon the caviar in the center of the tart. Garnish with the chives, red onions and capers in rings around the caviar.