M/Y Grace: Boat Recipe Series
Shrimp Salad with Remolade Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely minced
- 1 cup celery, finely minced
- 1/2 cup cornichons, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped soft herbs such as chives, chervil, basil or tarragon + more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 tablespoons Creole or coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika and Cayenne pepper, to taste and for color
- 1 1/2 pounds boiled, peeled shrimp (About 3 pounds gross weight with heads and shells off)
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 2 medium avocado, pitted and halved lengthwise or thinly sliced
- Ripe heirloom tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Make Remoulade Sauce: Combine mayonnaise, green onion, onion, celery, cornichons, lemon juice, lemon zest, herbs, capers, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl and mix well.
- Chop shrimp and place in medium bowl.
- Fold remoulade dressing into the chopped shrimp according to your taste preference. I usually reserve some of the dressing to drizzle over before serving.
- Serve on a bed of Bibb lettuce along with the avocado and tomatoes. Top with a drizzle of remoulade dressing.
Note: I usually double the remoulade dressing recipe, and save it in the refrigerator. It keeps for a few weeks and it’s delicious as a dip with crudités, over steamed or grilled vegetables, on sandwiches and as a base for a chicken salad. It’s so good you’ll want to use it on everything!
Time Saving Tip: since it’s going into a salad, I often buy cooked shrimp at grocery store and in a pinch I’ve even used frozen, cooked shrimp. Fresh shrimp does taste better though! You can also substitute shredded chicken or chopped ham in recipe, or do over vegetables!