Hosting The Perfect Spring Brunch
with Danielle Rollins
Coconut Cake Recipe
(2) 9 inch round cake pans. Butter and flour mixed with powder sugar for preparing the pans
- 1 cup unsalted butter (two sticks) at room temp
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste
- 2 teaspoons coconut flavoring
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (infused with vanilla even better!)
- 1 lemon rind, zested
- 1 clementine rind, zested
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut for garnishing cake
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour/powder sugar coat two 9 inch round cake pans and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until very smooth, at least four minutes (this way the sugar is broken down and emulsified with the butter fats) Add eggs, vanilla, vanilla paste, coconut flavoring and lemon/clementine zests and beat well to combine. In a separate medium sized bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture, the buttermilk and coconut milk to the butter mixture and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed, scraping down the sides as needed, until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick or fork inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool, then flip out onto a tray with removable parchment paper, frost with seven minute frosting. Stack and continue. Sprinkle with coconut in the middle, top and and press coconut into sides immediately after frosting.
- Keep covered at room temp.
Seven Minute Frosting
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons coconut water or water
- 2 teaspoon2 vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla and vanilla paste in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Place over medium low heat and beat with an electric hand mixer constantly for 5-7 minutes, or until icing is fluffy and stiff peaks form. Remove from heat, set aside and stir in vanilla and vanilla paste. Ice the cake.