Image via Madtini
This fragrant twist on the gimlet cocktail gets its clean green notes not from lime juice but from fresh basil. For extra glamour and aroma, tuck small sprigs of additional basil into each glass. Before I share this tart classic, I want to share our next giveaway:
P.S. If you don’t want to wait or want to go ahead and get the matching dinner napkins, head over to my retail tab –danielledrollins.com – and get them now!
BASIL LIME GIMLET
1 cup basil lemon syrup (see recipe below)
3/4 cup vodka
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup ice cubes
1. Stir together all ingredients in a pitcher until cold, then strain into 8- to 10-ounce glasses (such as Old Fashioned) half filled with ice.
2. Garnish: fresh basil sprigs (preferably lemon basil); lemon zest strips
BASIL LEMON SYRUP
4 cups packed fresh basil sprigs (top 4 inches; from a 1/2-pound bunch)
4 cups water
2 cups sugar
9 (4- by 1-inch) strips lemon zest
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
2. Let stand at room temperature, covered, 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container and chill until cold, about 1 hour.
3. Strain syrup through a sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on and then discarding solids.