While on my whirlwind book tour, I visited the beautiful city of Indianapolis a few weeks ago to speak at the Indianapolis Arts and Antique Show benefitting the Methodist Health Foundation. During my enjoyable stay, I met two amazing ladies, Anne Shanahan and Tenesia Wildermuth of Shanahan Wildermuth Interiors, who were kind enough to share tips on how to create chic, luxurious, and delightful interiors with the use of 'Vintage Glam' pieces.
1. A splash of black in a room exudes drama into the space.
2. Every home needs a piece of chinoiserie. It adds a sense of far off lands and a “history of luck” to an area.
3. Colorful furniture with great lines shows a freshness and lightness with a touch of whimsy to any home.
4. Don't be afraid to use furniture from different eras together in a room. Pieces from around the world and from different periods in time give a sense of a layered collected décor.
5. Books show people’s interests. Use a great piece to showoff collectibles with books.
6. Colorful wicker or bamboo adds a new and fun twist to a room.
7. Utilize dining chairs in many different areas throughout your home. A great chair with a stylized textile adds an extra punch to its surroundings.
8. A bar cabinet can bring the party anywhere together. Such a fun conversation piece that is truly magnetic.
9. Every room needs an element of surprise. It is what makes a room unforgettable!
10. Vintage barware is a big hit. The sense of glamour that our parents or grandparents were “cocktailing” makes us all want to participate in a little more fun.
11. Lighting is an essential element for any well-designed space. A spectacular fixture can add an architectural element while creating the perfect ambiance.
12. Look to the past for inspiration. Dorothy Draper style is just one classic example.
13. The drama of mirrors is undeniable. Mirrors are an effective way to enlarge any space.
14. Collect art and photographs in all different sizes from all time periods. It shows your personal side.
15. Texturing with the use of irresistible stones adds touches of the beauty brought to us from the outdoors. Bringing the outside elements indoors makes us feel that we are living harmoniously with nature.
16. A touch of gilt on anything is the ultimate in ”glamour”.
17. Hardware on furniture is like jewelry. If the hardware is great, the eye will catch it.
18. Lacquered furniture brings a magical luxe to a space and finishes the arrangement with a very clean line.