RASPBERRY SOUFFLÉ WITH RASPBERRY SAUCE
Raspberry Sauce ½ cup sugar 1 pint fresh raspberries
1. Combine ¼ cup water and ½ cup sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Pour sugar-water mixture into a blender; add raspberries. Blend until smooth, then strain through a mesh colander over a bowl and reserve.
The Main Event
1 Tbsp butter, for the dishes
8 Tbsp sugar, plus more for the dishes
9 large eggs
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole milk Raspberry Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 8 small soufflé dishes and lightly dust the insides with 2 Tbsp of sugar.
2. Separate the eggs, being careful not to get any yolk in the whites. Place 6 yolks in one bowl and 3 yolks in another bowl. Reserve egg whites in yet another bowl.
3. Mix 6 yolks with 3 Tbsp of the sugar, the flour, and the vanilla. Heat milk in a pan, and, whisking rapidly, add the yolk-sugar-flour mixture. Boil until thick, then remove from heat. Slowly, so eggs won’t scramble, add remaining 3 egg yolks, stirring to combine.
4. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with the remaining 3 Tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form. (When you run the whisk through the whites, they should stand like a mountain range and not fall back down.) Carefully fold egg whites into the pan of milk and yolks, stirring rapidly to combine. Swirl in ½ cup Raspberry Sauce, reserving the rest for garnish. Using a spatula, pour the batter into the prepared soufflé dishes.
5. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until top forms a perfect dome. Gently remove from oven and serve immediately with remaining Raspberry Sauce and extra fresh raspberries to garnish!