Louis XVI Style Medallion Back Chair
The clean and classical designs and motifs of the Louis XVI style are inspired by the reign of Louis XVI of France (1774–1793). Alternatively known as Louis Seize, the Louis XVI style initially corresponded with a re-emergence of interest in Ancient Roman civilization, a growing popularity of Enlightenment philosophy, and was first supported by such tastemakers of the time as Marie Antoinette and Madame du Barry. It also marked a return to the grand style of the popular monarch Louis XIV, and employment of the style in furnishings and décor today evokes the same regal sophistication and grace. Favoring fluted, geometric leg shapes on furniture, classical columns and straight lines – and omitting such organic shapes as the cabriole – the style is direct and confers an air of grand, stately elegance.
- A Louis XVI style side chair.
- In off-white cotton upholstery.
- Medallion shaped back, with rosette-headed, fluted, tapering legs and sabre back legs.
- The chair frame is finished in high-gloss dove gray paint.
- Italian manufacturer label to underside.
- Lacquered Wood, Cotton Blend
- Width: 19.25"
- Depth: 17.50"
- Height: 38"
- Seat Height: 21"
- Seat Depth: 17"
- Chipping to finish at edges.
- Light pilling and a few faint marks to seat.
- Welt trim at back has one uneven area.
Connect with a member of our team to discuss shipping & delivery options for this item.