Every house should be a warm haven -- a place where we cast away the cares of the world and relax with family and friends. Carefully considered bulbs and fixtures create an inviting environment that encourages people to linger.
Founded by Gale Singer in historic Savannah, GA in 1998, Circa Lighting has always been committed to offering quality lighting, lamps and accessories that are as beautiful as they are timeless. While lighting is an integral piece of your interior environment, choosing it can be a difficult and intimidating task, which is why I took some time with Gale Singer, the lighting guru, so she could share some pointers on finding the perfect balance of form and function in lighting décor.
Use the home-lighting decorating tips Gale provides here as inspiration and create the kinds of rooms your loved ones will want to hurry home to enjoy.
1. Great lighting is like a great piece of jewelry; it can totally transform a room into a special space. A beautiful chandelier with crystal beads is glamorous yet simple.
2. When done in pairs (which is my preference), table lamps can create a nice amount of symmetry.
3. Kitchen lighting can be tricky. Use pendant lights to illuminate an island and a chandelier over dining table but do not have the pendants and chandelier match.
4. Update your front door by adding ambience with a hanging lantern or sconces. Materials such as unfinished cooper or brass look better than patina. Also use frosted bulbs for softer light and less glare.
5. Successful lighting in a bathroom is like any other room. The key lies in levels of lighting. Level #1 is overhead lighting to highlight the beautiful features in the bathroom; level #2 is soft, diffused lighting placed at eye level so it doesn’t cast a shadow while primping in the mirror; and level #3, if space allows, a drop pendant or chandelier for that little touch of the unexpected.
6. Ceiling fans often get a bad rap for being dated eyesores, but modern styles provide a variety of options for any room. The key is matching the fan's style to the rest of your room’s décor.
7. When choosing the right overhead lighting fixture for your space, keep this general rule in mind: Take the width and the length of the room in feet, add those two lengths together and convert to inches. That is the basic size fixture you should purchase for the space. For example, a living room that is 15’ + 12’ = 27’. So your ceiling fixture should be approximately 27″ in width. Of course, rules are meant to be broken!
8. Focus on making the most out of your entrance hall since this is the first living space most of your visitors will see. First impressions should be meaningful and inspiring!
9. Ambient lighting plays an important role in the life of a home since it is a key element in creating a comfortable atmosphere. Develop a lighting plan that addresses every purpose your room may serve or each task you will accomplish in it.
10. Don’t be afraid to mix it up by using a variety of lighting types.
Gale Singer, prior to opening her first store in Savannah, GA, spent ten years working for Visual Comfort (owned by brother Andy Singer), the company, which manufactures most of her lighting. After the Savannah store proved to be a success, flagship stores were opened in Atlanta, Charleston, Houston, and Chicago. The company continues to grow and will hopefully expand into other parts of the country in the future.3078 Roswell Road NW Atlanta, GA 30305 Located in Buckhead next to Waterworks www.circalighting.com 404.233.4131