“I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” always seems so far-fetched when you’re from the South. Immediately after the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, the big tree goes up in Rockefeller Plaza and it’s officially holiday travel time in New York! Nothing puts me in the holiday mood more than a visit to the Big Apple, and I can start humming that famous Bing Crosby Christmas carol.
Christmas in New York is like Christmas in no other city in the world; the magic created here by the sights and attractions come to life when you visit at this time of year. The Big Apple offers a winter wonderland with its chilly weather, roasted chestnut on streets side stands, elaborately decorated city streets, harried, bag-toting shoppers and so many festive events.
Some of my favorites:
1. Holiday windows display at Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman, Barneys and Macy’s are not to be missed! And a little window-shopping is always a treat
2. Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center
3. Dinner at La Grenouille — there is NO restaurant with more beautiful flowers or old style gracious service. And the soufflés are to die for!!
4. Ice Skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park or Rockefeller Center
5. Horse-Drawn Hansom Cab Carriage Ride through Central Park snuggled under blankets
6. Tea at the Carlyle Hotel and drinks at Bemelmans Bar — my favorite is the Gin Gin Mule
7. Radio City Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes
8. Breakfast at Norma’s Restaurant — try the Oatmeal Brulee
9. Metropolitan Museum of Art, Whitney and my favorite, The Frick
10. The Holiday Shops at Bryant Park
11. A trip to Verdura, Cartier, Harry Winston and Tiffany’s — a girl can dream!
12. Lunch at Fred’s at Barneys, anytime. The best people watching in the City!